Our traditionally reared geese roam grassy paddocks and fields and are reared on a natural diet to full adult maturity, just like our turkeys.
100% free range goose.
- As soon as you get your goose, remove all packaging and store in a refrigerator. The giblets will come to you vacuumed packed and they should also be stored in the refrigerator.
- Remove the goose from the fridge, leave it to stand for 2 hours before cooking.
- The geese are trussed with a simple trussing band, which is best removed before cooking. We advise not to stuff the cavity as this will hinder the proper cooking of the goose but you may choose to put an apple or peeled onion inside.
- Sprinkle the goose with salt and pepper, and place goose on a roasting rack inside a deep roasting pan without foil. Place goose in a pre-heated oven 180ºC/160ºFan/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. After 30 minutes prick skin alongside each breast to release some of the juices.
- Allow 35 minutes per kg for cooking. The delicate texture of the goose is easily spoiled by over cooking. As individual oven temperatures vary it is advisable to test the bird between two thirds to three quarters through the cooking time. Prick the breast and thigh and if the juices run clear then the goose is cooked and should be removed from the oven and rested prior to carving. If the juices are still pink, return to the oven for the remaining cooking time and test again. During cooking you may choose to drain off the excess fat, which keeps well in a refrigerator or can be frozen. This fat is invaluable for cooking delicious roast potatoes.
Cooking Times (approx)
- 4kg: 2 hours 10 minutes
- 5kg: 2 hours 45 minutes
- 6kg: 3 hours 20 minutes
- 7kg: 3 hours 55 minutes